The damp, musty smell of mold and mildew is one that most people are familiar with, even when they can’t actually see where the smell is coming from. Mold and mildew can have adverse effects on your health and your property. Although not all fungus is harmful to your health, mold and mildew that grow in your home can negatively impact your health and be a sign that there may be structural damage to your home as well. At Supreme Restorations, we deal with mold and mildew in your home as a result of water damage quite often and if left untreated, it can create a dangerous environment to be around.
Mold and Mildew Can Be Harmful to Your Health and Damaging to Your Home
Mold is very common in home and it can be found around areas with a lot of moisture. Some homeowners may find traces of mold and mildew in their homes following flooding or severe rainstorms where water soaks into the wood, drywall, and sheetrock. When this excess moisture enters your home it can weaken the structural integrity of your home’s building materials but with the ideal conditions (darkness and moisture) for mold and mildew to thrive in.
This growth of mold and mildew in your home can also cause you and your family to experience illnesses that target your immune system. Respiratory conditions: wheezing, coughing, sneezing, itchy throat, and even allergic reactions are all linked to exposure to mold and mildew.
Mold vs Mildew
What exactly is the difference between mold and mildew? Well, while both are fungi that grow in similar conditions, there are few differences that can be noted.
Mildew is more common to find in homes than mold because it begins to appear in smaller patches earlier than mold does. Mildew can be white and powdery but it is also yellow, grey, brown, and black. While mildew is not as bad for your health as mold can be, it is still harmful to your health and often gives people headaches, coughing, and difficulty breathing when they are exposed to mildew.
Mold, on the other hand, appears in homes in much larger colonies of infestation than mold. As such, it is also more harmful than mildew. Mold spores spread rapidly when there is moisture and grow in a wide variety of colors and textures. Mold is so notorious because it can cause structural damage to your home as well as being toxic.
Although not all mold is toxic (some of it makes our cheese taste good or makes medicines like penicillin possible) mold that grows in your home can have incredibly harmful effects. The most common mold to find in homes is toxic black mold (Stachybotrys Chartarum).
Water Damage Restoration Experts
When you spot Black mold in your home it is important to contact mold removal and remediation professionals. At Supreme Restoration, we are water damage and mold remediation specialists who can identify the extent of mold contamination as well as thoroughly cleaning and removing all traces of mold spores in your home so that you can return to living a healthy, mold-free life again.
We understand that water damage from flooding or leaking roofs can cause mold growth to grow at any time, that’s why we offer 24/7 mold remediation services. Contact the team at Supreme Restoration today.